So you've decided a caravan is right for you and you're ready to take the leap into ownership, but how do you make sure you buy once and buy right? What questions should you ask to help ensure you make the best investment?
You would be surprised by how few times these types of questions are asked instead priority is given to floor plan, interior colour scheme and length. While these are all very important considerations most companies will have a broad range of options on display that will cover most of your needs/non-negotiables.
However, what's important, especially at TrailLite, is maximising your happiness while on the road. In many cases purchasing and connecting with the perfect product for your needs is easy; it's the trust and after sales back up that dramatically increases or decreases enjoyment while traveling New Zealand.
We met a couple just recently who had purchased a new motorhome from a dealer in New Zealand. Just two years on and they are no longer able to access that company for parts, servicing questions or details about how to use areas of their motorhome. They were stuck not knowing where to go or how to use the heating system in the middle of winter in the South Island - that's going to impact their enjoyment!
Unfortunately this isn't a unique scenario and it happens just as often with caravan owners looking for parts, servicing, back up support and more! Hence why these following questions are so important.
Questions to ask
- Do you have access to parts and accessories for this caravan brand/product line etc.
- Do you offer a full handover of the vehicle after purchase?
- What happens if I can't remember how to use certain elements of the caravan after purchase? Who do I call or how do I access that information?
- What's your commitment to after sales service?
- Do you have testimonials from other customers that will vouch for your after sales service?
- Do you offer a tow vehicle assessment? And could I try hitch the caravan to my car to check my confidence and the caravan/car compatibility?
- What is the warranty on this product? In particular what is the length of the water ingress warranty?
There are lots of ways to find the perfect caravan for you including pre-owned and new options. However, it is important that you ask the right questions when buying to make sure that you know exactly what you are getting and who you are doing business with.
TrailLite has been in the motorhome and caravan industry since 1954. We have a long history of manufacturing caravans and as a result know a thing or two about how to care for them, service them and what product lines are suitable.